I created this page for when we’re talking about the technical and nerdy side of making this podcast.? Most of the links are to Amazon and are affiliate links, each of the items are easily found though, so you can also highlight and search from your favorite retailer.
We probably spent a little more than we needed to, but I wanted to be a little on the safe and conservative side, and I hate buying something and then hitting it’s shortcomings too soon.? Our primary need was the ability to record AJ and myself, but we also wanted to be able to invite others to record and/or invite others to participate via Skype, hence we went with a 10 channel mixer, the rest of the choices are listed.
For recording at home we run;
- Yamaha MG10XU – We went with this as a nice mid-level mixer, very low noise floor, even when we’re really pushing it to the max.? I’m quite happy with the decision to go with it.
- Shure SM58S Vocal Microphone – The classic vocal microphone and is a safe choice.? We went with dynamic microphones as I was concerned about extra noise if I went with condensers.
- Sennheiser HD280PRO Headphone – I wanted a comfortable over the ear headphone, the Sennheiser had good reviews covering comfort, sound reproduction, noise?attenuation, etc.? A lot of the other comparable cans would trade one for the other, at least according to reviews, no idea if it’s true or not.? And hey, Sennheiser is a very good name in audio reproduction, so a safe choice.
- Behringer MicroAMP HA400 – We needed a way to share the headphone out so we can all hear what is being produced, so this is 1 in – 4 out for the headphones.
- Relatively old Dell laptop – I run the USB out of the mixer into the PC directly, and record using Audacity.
- Audacity – For recording and editing – my workflow is still evolving, but it revolves around noise removal and then fixing levels.
We host with Podbean – https://www.podbean.com?
I’d like to put together a traveling setup, but I’m still thinking about what to use for that, either record directly to a portable recorder, or maybe pick up a smaller mixer, but this is something for the future.
If you have any questions/comments please drop me a line.
This is just a picture because it’s